10 Aug 2011

Update on driving license situation

6 Comments Driving license (Sweden), Move to Sweden

We attended part 1 of the mandatory risk education yesterday and it was actually a waste of time. Nothing new was mentioned that we didn’t know before so I don’t really get why it’s mandatory. I can see how it might be more useful when you’re 17-18 years old and have less life experience in general (but even then it’s a bit iffy) but there were people in all ages in the class and I’m sure most of them found it pretty useless. The seminar went on for 3 hours and at least where we went it was 600 SEK.

When driving down to Malmö Simon stopped by the driving school I had spoken to earlier on the phone about taking lessons in English (which I was told wasn’t a problem). The girl in the reception answered Simon in Swedish when he addressed her in English. When he told her (in Swedish) that his Swedish wasn’t very good and asked her if she could speak English she continued talking in Swedish (!). There was a driving instructor there too and Simon was told by him that they don’t do lessons in English. Go figure…

We’re now looking to see if there is any other driving school in the Malmö area willing to give Simon one or two driving lessons in English and possibly also help him with part 2 of the risk education, the skid road. It seems like he, if he can’t do it that way, has to bring an interpreter to that too (that he has to arrange for himself) which would mean I have to help out again.

Who said anything in life should be easy…..

Tags: , , ,
written by
The author didn‘t add any Information to his profile yet.
Related Posts

6 Responses to “Update on driving license situation”

1. Reply Sam says:

It's so silly that Aussies have to get a Swedish license at all isn't it. Especially after driving around Sweden for a year already anyway…it doesn't make sense to me lol. Good luck

2. Reply Annelie says:

No driving courses in English… I bet if he would be somali he would get it in his own language.

3. Reply Grant says:

Not a lot of fun but one of those things that needs to be ticked off the list. Kind of makes one feel a little more "Swedish".

Hold out for an English speaking instructor, it's worth the hassle. There's a few little things that the examiners get a bit picky about which us Kiwis and Aussies are completely ignorant about. So it's good to get prior warning. I went for 2 one hour sessions and it did pay off for me in the exam. Or maybe I just got lucky. In any case it's a good chance to brush up on lazy habits.

I don't know how the track setup is in Malmö, but the track I went to involved me sitting solo in the car while the instructor relayed instructions via radio from a control tower. So it's pretty important that you can understand clearly. I went with a small group from my driving school which was a big help as the instructor and I already knew each other. Another reason why I'd say keeping digging until you find an English speaking instructor.

The skid training is no big drama. If you've driven a Holden or Falcon then you'll sail through. It's actually quite a lot of fun. Really just playing around in front and rear wheel drive cars with the ABS system switched off or on. More educational than a test. Attendance, and not driving over anyone, is the only criteria for passing.

4. Reply Anders says:

Eller lära sig svenska…

5. Reply Grant says:

Funny you should mention that, Anders. When I went to take my driving test, the instructor and I had a quiet chat before setting off. I explained to him that while we could converse in Swedish for my test, it would involve me concentrating on him instead of the road. Therefore, it would probably be in his best safety interests if we conversed in English for the next 12 and a half minutes. Wisely, he agreed. 11 months of Swedish language study doesn't fill the average Swedish car passenger with confidence.

6. Reply Anna - Swaussie says: