16 Mar 2010

Residence permit

No Comments Residence permit (Sweden)

The plan is for Simon to move to Sweden for a while and we’ve applied for a residence permit. Simon could apply for a Working Holiday Visa since he’s under 30 but we’ve chosen to try to get a residence permit first and if that doesn’t work out he’ll apply for the Visa instead.

I though I would provide information about the process and what’s going on since I thought it would have been helpful to read about it from someone who has experienced it. All the information will end up in the category Move to Sweden and the posts will have the new Sweden banner that you can see in this post.The rules vary depending on your citizenships and of course the relationship (if you’re married or not, related, have kids and so on). Everything I’m writing applies to an Australian citizen who wants to move to a Swedish citizen and since Simon and I are in a new relationship we fall under the category; Future husband/wife or common-law spouse so naturally that’s what I’ll be focusing on too.

A lot of the information can be found on Migrationsverket’s homepage (the Swedish Migration Board) so I’ll just provide the useful links for you here in the blog. The information is often available both in Swedish and in English but I’ll provide you with links to the English pages.

The application

When sending in the application Simon needed to provide the following;

  • Of course the application form, called Form 115 021 (pdf). Easily downloaded from the webpage and filled out.
  • A valid passport (that he needed to send in with the application)
  • Two passport photographs, not more than six months old
  • A civic registration certificate (“familjebevis“) for me. I ordered the certificate from Skatteverket (the Swedish Tax Agency). Unfortunately I had to call them and order it since it wasn’t something I could order on their webpage but I got it sent to me in a day or two so that wasn’t really a problem. I then scanned the document and emailed to Simon, the orginal wasn’t needed.

After calling them today he’s also been asked to provide additional information in the form of;

  • A copy of my passport
  • Copy of any joint bank accounts or if we owned or rented something together (which we haven’t so unfortunately we don’t have anything like that).
  • Since the relationship is so new there are other ways for us to prove to the Migration Board that we are in fact partners and that is to ask family members and/or friends to write a letter and outline how they are related to us and when and where they have met the two of us. So we’ll be asking our parents and a friend each to write such letters for us. Good thing we both met each others parents and friends 🙂

So what happens next?

  1. We’ll provide the additional information to the embassy.
  2. Simon will be given an appointment with the embassy in Canberra for a personal interview. He needs to bring photos of the two of us to show the person interviewing him. He also needs to provide the application fee (500SEK), money that will not be returned if the application is refused.
  3. After that the embassy will forward the documents to the Swedish Migration Board.
  4. The Swedish Migration Board will then send me a questionnaire with questions about our relationship. I must return the questionnaire within 4 weeks upon receiving it.
  5. A decision will be made by the Swedish Migration Board.

The purpose of the investigation is to determine identity, family status, and how long the relationship has existed. You should expect the decision to take about six months from the date you apply.

How long is the permit valid?

If you lived together with your relative in your country of origin/domicile, the Migration Board will normally grant you a permanent residence permit (PUT). This entitles you to live in Sweden for as long as you like.

If you did not live with your relative in your country of origin/domicile but intend to set up home together on your arrival here, the Migration Board will normally grant you a permit for 12 months (in some cases for six months). You then have to apply for an extension to your permit. If you are still living together, your permit will be extended for a further 12 months (or six months).

When you have had a limited residence permit for two years and your relationship is still intact, you will be granted a permanent residence permit.

I don’t think there will be any issues regarding the proving that our relationship is real (at least I hope not, there shouldn’t be, because it’s very real indeed!) What’s not working in our favour is the fact that our relationship is so new and that we never actually officially lived at the same address even though we spent almost all our time together when I was in Australia staying at my place or at Simon’s. But all we can do is wait and hope for the best. I’ll make sure to keep you updated 🙂


Tags: , ,
written by
The author didn‘t add any Information to his profile yet.
Related Posts
No Responses to “Residence permit”

Leave a Reply